Providing independent, impartial and value-driven advice on the full breadth of construction and property costs to secure real return on investment.
The effective management of cost is a critical factor in the successful delivery of our client's project objectives and outcomes. We support our clients by providing a proactive, 'hands-on' and innovative approach to the management of cost and value at each stage of the development lifecycle.
Our culture, vision and values are at the heart of our approach to what we do and how we do it, and a belief that truly innovative solutions are made through continuous learning and the sharing of ideas.
How we do it?
Our approach is to actively manage costs, identifying and addressing potential issues early, providing informed advice at the appropriate time to facilitate client control and enable business decisions to be taken with confidence.
Coupled with this approach, we think beyond our discipline and use innovative approaches to fully participate in a team based approach to project working.
Steven MasonManaging Director of Cost ConsultancyEmail
The diversity and breadth of services and sectors that Mace provides enables our cost consultancy teams to offer unique cost management services to our clients.
- Understanding people and how they interact with spaces can be tested and evaluated against real industry baseline data, using feedback from our facilities management (FM) team. From this, better building solutions can be implemented.
- Analysis of property performance in use, including environmental performance, social equity, building condition and compliance to optimise early designs, eliminating re-work and creating industry best practice.
- Carbon performance modelling to offer alternative building types, forms and design solutions drawing on real life FM data.
- Early risk prediction and mitigation across the entire property lifecycle to improve cost certainty, identification and avoidance of potential problems, and opportunities for efficiency improvements.
- Identifying buildability issues early is essential for a construction project to run smoothly. It accommodates more off-site prefabrication, better productivity rates and flow through locations, and allows the team to focus on delivering the project on time, on budget and to the required quality.
- Supply chain management is central to the success of our projects. In conjunction with the Mace Business School, we continually seek to improve these relationships through performance feedback and scoring mechanisms, accompanied with a ‘lessons learnt’ session with both main contractors and key sub-contractor trades upon successful completion of a project.
What we offer
Mace cost consultancy is about focusing upon cost and value early in the project lifecycle to be able to influence decision making. We combine the understanding of our clients' business drivers and output requirements with our knowledge of construction costs, the market trends that influence costs and our experience across a breadth of property sectors, including public and private, to create insightful and accurate assessments of proposals.
In practice, this means we help our clients in the following ways:
- High-level strategic cost advice
- Cost planning and cost modeling
- Building surveying, condition and dilapidation surveys
- Benchmarking against a database of historic key performance indicators
- Private Finance Initiative (PFI) consultancy and support
- Feasibility studies and development appraisals
- Landlord-tenant negotiations and premises-search
- Procurement and contractual advisory services
- Cost management of projects throughout their lifecycle
- Whole life costing issues
- Services, IT infrastructure and hardware, audio-visual and security systems
- Tax and capital allowances
- Employer's agent services and contract administration
- Fund monitoring
- Sustainability and socio-economic cost consultancy.
Bespoke cost consultancy services in Africa
In response to client and local market demands, Mace has acquired substantial stakes in two regional cost consultancy businesses, combining local market knowledge with Mace’s international expertise.
In South Africa, MMQSMace is providing a unique capability to our clients, combining local cost management experience with additional services such as project and programme management. We operate across a range of sectors for clients including infrastructure, mining, student accommodation and financial services, providing clients with strategic advice on how to take projects forward.
In Kenya and across East Africa, MaceYMR is helping clients navigate an ever changing and complex business environment, providing strategic advice across a range of services, from commercial management, risk, project management to sustainability and health and safety. We also operate seamlessly across sectors, from infrastructure to residential, commercial to education.
Our Cost Consultancy team includes building surveyor specialists who provide professional advice on construction and property related matters throughout an estates’ lifecycle.
Our close working relationship with our cost consultants, designers, project managers and contractors enable our building surveyors to provide the most comprehensive market leading advice to clients.
We work for all sectors within the UK that include private, contractors, developers and other client-bodies, central and local government. This work spans across commercial, industrial, residential, leisure, education and healthcare.
We aim to provide sound, bespoke advice, enabling our clients to make confident informed decisions on all technical aspects of acquisition, development, ownership, occupation and disposal of assets through tailored report formats.
Our key services include:
- Building Surveys
- Condition Surveys
- Maintenance Appraisal Services/Planned Preventative Maintenance Plans
- Contract Administration
- Party Wall/Neighbourly Issues
- Project Monitoring
- Reinstatement Cost Assessments for Insurance Purposes
- Defect Analysis/Diagnosis
- Expert Witness
Our people are really what set us apart – they share a work ethic that dictates that something worth doing is worth doing well; an enthusiasm that means nothing is ever too much trouble; and a willingness to support and challenge teams in equal measure.
Our people deliver enduring results, true to each client’s specific situation and always ensuring they do the right thing for our clients, our people and our communities.