Director of Western Europe & Global Clients
Consultancy, UK and Europe
At university Barbara was sponsored by the RAF and the Royal Academy of Engineering and, through a leadership award at the academy, experienced some interesting projects around the world. After graduating, Barbara joined Mace and nearly two decades later has an amazing career that enables her to deploy her breath of skills and experience to deliver complex and challenging programmes for clients in the UK and overseas.
- How did your past career lead you to Mace?
- Why construction?
- I chose to study civil engineering because it aligned with some of my academic strengths and because of my fascination about the world around me. Every minute of every day, people come into contact with the amazing work an engineer does. From turning on the tap in the morning, to commuting to work and spending time at home, engineering is all around us and makes a huge difference to everyone’s lives. That's why I chose construction.
- What do you enjoy most about leading teams at Mace?
- My role draws on my strengths and experiences from working across a variety of sectors, service offers and geographies. I'm able to use these skills to support talented teams in providing an excellent service to our clients. I really enjoy creating an environment where teams thrive and work hard to achieve both their own aspirations and team goals. We come to work as individuals; but together we are a lot more than the sum of our parts. It's hugely rewarding to be part of a high performing team.
- What have been your proudest achievement at Mace?
- I really enjoyed my time on The Venetian in Macau as it harnessed all the skills I had developed across project and programme management, and construction of a mega project. It was also my first overseas project. Having lived as an expat as a child, I really enjoyed moving overseas again and embracing the challenge.
- What skills do you need to be good at your job?
- Energy, enthusiasm and a passion for doing things right, always striving for excellence and pursuit of a better way. An ability to solve complex problems, blending intuition with an analytical approach. Strong communicator with developed stakeholder management skills help me to translate a client’s needs into a property or real estate solutions which deliver their objectives and aspirations.
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
- I can solve a Rubik’s cube. How quick? Ask me.
“We come to work as individuals; but together we are a lot more than the sum of our parts. It's great to be part of a high performing team.”