Deputy Chief Operating Officer for Construction
Group Board tenure: 3 years
Mark joined Mace in 2005 to set up Mace’s fixed price construction business. With over 35 years’ experience, Mark has managed UK and USA based organisations and today retains a hands-on approach to many of our strategic client relationships. He is a fellow of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and a director of Build UK.
- What skills and experience do you bring to your role on the Mace Board?
- I've managed other businesses prior to joining Mace and developed experience in creating start-ups, restructuring companies and mergers and acquisitions activity. I bring a strong commercial perspective to the challenges and opportunities that we come across whilst I retain a passion for customer service.
- How have you seen the company develop during your time here?
- I joined Mace over 12 years ago to set up our fixed price contracting business. When I joined, construction was turning over around £100m a year and now it's 16 times that. Unusually for many companies, we have grown purely organically since the beginning. This approach of sustainable growth has meant we have been able to keep our unique collaborative and innovative culture, which has been present since the company was started.
- What has been your proudest moment at Mace?
- It must be the creation of what was called 'Mace Plus', now our fixed-price contracting business, in 2005. From a project perspective I'm proud of delivering the Emirates Air Line cable car across the Thames in London in time for the 2012 Olympics and the completion of the Tate Modern.
- Where would you like to see Mace in five years' time?
- By 2021 I'd like us to be consistently known as London and the South East's number one contractor, in terms of scale, profitability and what our clients say about us. I expect we will be a £2.5bn turnover company and still owner led.
- What are you passionate about outside work?
- I like to spend time with my family and my three children, particularly travelling with them around the world. I also like to play golf and am a lifelong supporter of Tottenham Hotspur.
“I'm proud of delivering the Emirates Air Line cable car across the Thames in London in time for the 2012 Olympics.”