Chief Operating Officer for Mace International
Group Board tenure: 6 years
Marcus was the Deputy COO for Mace International for three years, before becoming Chief Operating Office for Mace International in 2011. Since taking over the management of our international operations, Marcus has seen both turnover and profits grow, while expanding our international presence from 50 to 70 countries. Under Marcus' leadership, we have also worked on some of the world's most iconic projects including what will be the world’s tallest building, Jeddah Tower, Jumeirah Beach Residence and Dubai Expo 2020.
- What skills and experience do you bring to your role on the Mace Board?
Having worked as the client representative for Majid Al Futtain, a consultant and contractor, across multiple sectors and numerous countries, I'm well placed to offer a significant breadth of experience. This helps in responding to both technical and cultural differences to best serve the mutual interests of Mace and our clients.Internationally, clients are often much less established that you may find in the UK, and the requirements on our teams are sometimes much wider in scope requiring a more experienced team from Mace. Dealing with these challenges can require a sensitive approach, which I bring to the company.
- How have you seen the company develop during your time here?
- When I joined the company, we employed around 500 people and our global presence was limited to 10 countries. Nearly 20 years on, we've experienced a ten fold increase in people and have carried out activities in over 70 countries, across every continent. Internationally, when I joined, we employed 30 people. Now we have around 500.
- What’s your favourite piece of work or proudest moment at Mace?
- My favourite piece of work and proudest moment were both linked to the same project: Jumeirah Beach Residences. Securing the landmark project management/construction management commission was a defining moment in the development of Mace internationally. The successful delivery of the world’s largest single phase residential development, including nearly 40 individual residential towers, remains a proud achievement for both myself and our team. It was a real catalyst for our international growth.
- Where would you like to see Mace in five years' time?
- In five years’ time, I would like to see Mace recognised not just as a leader in the UK, but as the global leader in our field, so that we are always included on any client selection list, regardless of location or sector of operation.
- What do you like to do outside of work?
My passion outside of work is golf. My current handicap is 11, it's been higher and it's been lower, but in recent years I've not been able to find the time to yield the results I would have hoped for!
“The successful delivery of the world’s largest single phase residential development at Jumeirah Beach Residence, including nearly 40 individual residential towers, remains a proud achievement for both myself and our team. ”