Chief Operating Officer for Development
Group Board tenure: 14 years
David has led the company in creating a portfolio of development opportunities around the UK. These include student residential, PRS, housing, hotels and commercial property. David is a chartered surveyor and arbitrator, and holds a masters in construction law from King’s College London.
- What skills and experience do you bring to your role on the Mace Board?
- I joined the company in 1992 and have worked in most aspects of our business, from consultancy and construction in the UK to international consultancy and more recently development. I was the first person from Mace to take their family overseas, moving to Kuala Lumpur in 1997. I also led our commercial project management team with Mark Holmes, and in 2009 I became the deputy programme director on the London 2012 Olympic Games. From our initial role as developer on Assam Place, a central London student scheme in 2010, I've led the growth of Mace's development business, with its exit value now exceeding £1.75bn.
- How have you seen the company develop during your time here?
- When I joined we only really did construction management and project management was still very new to us. Now we offer the full range of services from development right through to facilities management. We've also grown our reach, from those first international projects that I was involved in, we now operate in over 65 countries across five continents.
- What’s your proudest moment at Mace?
- It has to be the creation of our development business. To have grown that offer so substantially and successfully over the last few years, is particularly satisfying. Also seeing how that part of the business successfully feeds into the other parts is a perfect example of the benefits of cross selling.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- My family are now grown up and busy on their own journeys which gives me time for my other interests. I love sports cars and racing. I'm lucky to own a few nice cars and have been racing for the past few seasons in various Porsche series around the UK. Sailing and Arsenal are two of my other passions.
- What is the board doing to make sure Mace is in good shape for the future?
Over the years we have diversified our service offer, our sectors and our the countries where we work so that we are confident we can span the full property life cycle and ride out fluctuations in the market. We’ve focused on key clients, driving efficiency and knowledge sharing but we can and need to get better.
We live in a global market, and have little influence on the global political environment and the decisions that are made. All any company can do is take advice, understand these factors as best we can, ask ourselves how our business can best position itself, and respond to those changes. Above all, to maintain our strong position into the future, we must never lose sight of our desire to be best in class.
David is one of our attendees at this year's MIPIM 2017 conference. Read more in our Mace at MIPIM 2017 section.