Senior Bid Coordinator
Bid team, UK
Since joining Como in 2014, Zoe has thrown herself into creating industry-leading submissions to showcase Como’s capabilities. In the fast paced world of fit out, Zoe works on several projects at a time. With constantly looming deadlines, her project management and multitasking skills are regularly put to the test.
- What brought you to Mace?
- After graduating with a degree in graphic design I joined a design agency as an office manager as a way to get my foot in the door. I thrived in the office environment and built up some good relationships there. One of the directors left and suggested I apply for a role in the bid team at his new company and that's how my world of bidding started. I progressed to bid manager there and jumped at the chance to further my career by joining Como when a friend who works at Mace told me about an opening. That was two years ago and the rest, as they say, is history!
- How has your career progressed since joining Mace?
- I progressed to senior bid coordinator after being with the company for nine months. I have attended a lot of Mace’s mandatory training – inductions, health and safety sessions and sustainability sessions, which has allowed me to understand these subjects better and in turn helps when providing the information in our tenders. As a bid team we also have access to online Adobe training, which is useful as we can constantly update our skills.
- What do you enjoy most about your current role at Mace?
- Working as part of the bid team, I thrive on the pace of work and the deadlines. Working on a variety of tenders gives me a great insight into the fit out industry, which keeps things really interesting … and me on my toes!
- What has been your proudest achievement at Mace?
- I don’t have a single piece of work that I'm most proud of but when we get the good news that we have been successful on a tender and have won the job, it certainly puts a smile on my face. It’s highly rewarding.
- What skills do you need to be good at your job?
- My graphic design background is definitely a big plus as it allows me to get creative with our submission documents and presentation boxes. You have to have good timekeeping and project management skills as every tender has strict deadlines and missing them isn't an option. Having the ability to build good relationships with different people in the team is very important - especially when you need to get information from them in a hurry.
- If you hadn’t got into this line of work what do you think you might be doing?
- I’ve always wanted to be a dancer! So instead of beavering away at my desk at 155 Moorgate, I might have been dancing away in Beyonce’s latest video! Or for a slightly more sensible option, I might have been a PA - I would always have to be in a job that was demanding.
“Working on a variety of tenders gives me a great insight into the fit out industry.”