Director of Como
Fit out, UK
After 30 years on both the contractor and client side, Trevor joined Mace in 2013 as Director of Como, Mace's fit-out business. In his first three years he significantly increased Como's turnover and taken on more responsibility in other sectors.
- How did you get into what you do?
I went straight from school to working for a contractor as a trainee engineer. I was there for 25 years and left as a regional director. In this time I progressed through site engineering and project/construction management. I left to go client-side at a major UK retail chain, always with the intention of coming back into the private sector having got experience from a different perspective.
It was at the retailer that I had my first experience of Mace. While bidding for work, Mace was the only contractor that came to talk about the opportunities for both them and us, not just the opportunity for them to win work. I was impressed by their proactive, professional approach to being a partner with the client, not just a contractor winning and delivering work. So when the opportunity came up to work within the business, it was an easy decision to make.
- How has your career progressed since joining Mace?
- I joined Mace in 2014 as the Director of Como and grew the fit-out business from the start, significantly increasing its turnover in my first three years. During my time with Mace, my remit has expanded to include work in the retail, regional commercial office and data centre sectors.
- What do you enjoy most about your current role at Mace?
- I relish the breadth of work we do and the variety of clients and consultants we work with. I enjoy developing a business, inspiring change and seeing it grow to its full potential. I have a fantastic team and together we look at ways to attract and develop the best people in the industry. Having an impact on transforming spaces and the environment in which people work is also very rewarding.
- What skills do you need to be good at your job?
You need to be a good communicator and a good listener, and be good at making decisions. You also need to be able to inspire people, to offer direction and motivate a team to deliver. My belief is always to keep things simple and to always do the right thing. As a leader, you need to be a decision maker – able to get into the detail but not get bogged down in it.
The best advice I had was to make sure you look after yourself and give yourself time to think. It’s vital to have time to plan as well as reflect on what you’ve done right and what you can improve on.
- What do you look for in someone trying to get into what you do?
- Often, a lot of importance is put on the need to know the technical skills, but what’s important to me is an individual’s desire to learn and a can-do attitude. In the fast-paced world of construction, that approach will take you places. The ability to build good working relationships is also key as this is vital to success.
- What do you hope you will be doing over the next few years?
In the next two to three years I want to have profitably grown Como and establish it as being recognised as one of the top three commercial office fit-out companies in London and across the rest of the UK. I’d always like to stretch the business and push our team to aim high and reach heights that may not seem possible right now.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I’m an avid supporter of Colchester United Football Club. Although I’ve encouraged my kids to follow my passion, and they do, the only time the ground is sold out and I can get my wife to go with, is when it’s playing host to a concert!
Trevor's profile features in our Northern Powerhouse section.
“I relish the breadth of work we do and the variety of clients and consultants we work with. I enjoy developing a business and seeing it grow to its full potential.”