Business Unit Director
Fit out, UK
Stewart Ward’s knowledge of the fit out market, relationships with consultants and suppliers, and his emphatic approach to seamless project delivery has seen him responsible for some of the industry’s largest fit out contracts. Now leading Mace Interiors, Stewart is bringing a renewed focus to the fit out division with the intention of taking the market by storm.
- How did you get into construction?
- I’ve worked in construction since I left school. While everyone else was going into banking I knew a typical desk job wasn’t going to suit me. I’ve always had a head for numbers so I took up an opportunity in quantity surveying which meant I could do what I was good at but didn’t have to be tied to a desk all day - I got the best of both worlds.
- How has your career developed?
- I qualified in quantity surveying while working. It was a longer route but the practical experience alongside the academic study set me up really well. I started my career with a construction company that did some fit out, that led to a role in retail fit out, and then I moved to one of the UK’s leading fit out specialists where I climbed the career ladder. In July 2018, just as I was looking for a new challenge, the opportunity came up to lead Mace Interiors and the rest is history.
- Why Mace Interiors?
We’ve got some of the best people in fit out who really understand what clients want in this ever evolving market. We have the expertise of the wider Mace Group, so we can offer greater value with temporary works and structural engineers, MEP experts and designers, and we can offer additional services, such as cut and carve refurbishment as part of the interior fit out, which is fairly unique.
- What makes a great fit out service?
- The people. It’s impossible to deliver a successful fit out project without a passionate, motivated, client-focused team. Fit out projects are fast and there’s no room for error so you have to have a team with the right attitude as well as the experience – one that wants to do more for the client, will actively seek out ways to do things better, shape the design and raise the quality.
- What is your ambition for Mace Interiors?
- To be the go-to contractor for commercial fit out in London, and further afield. Our success comes from being client and delivery focused but I want us to be absolutely renowned for it among clients and consultants – to be famed as the best performer in the market and continue to attract the best talent.
- What motivates you?
- Getting feedback from clients that the delivery was seamless. Hearing from clients and consultants that from tender to handover, and throughout the aftercare, we’ve been easy to work with, transparent and collaborative, we’ve introduced new solutions and we’ve exceeded expectations. Delivering as we say we will, and more, is what we aim for on every project.
- What would be your dream job?
- Probably to be a pilot although I couldn’t sit still for long enough to handle long-haul. I flew a Spitfire over Brands Hatch recently and even managed some victory rolls.
“It’s impossible to deliver a successful fit out project without a passionate, motivated, client-focused team. ”