Shaun has worked in the construction industry for 24 years - ten of them for Mace. He is a project director and has worked on some of Mace's most high profile projects.
Shaun is also a proud trustee of the Mace Foundation which is something he is very passionate about.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I got into the industry by doing a thin sandwich university degree course, which you could say just got my foot in the door. Since starting out in the industry my background has been in both traditional fixed price contracting, with a strong emphasis on design and build, as well as construction management.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
- I enjoy the diversity of what we do, the people we work with and the fantastic projects we deliver. No day is the same and we get to work with such a breadth of people in different specialisms.
- What’s your proudest achievement at Mace?
- I'm proud of everything I've achieved with Mace but the hardest project was undoubtedly South Bank Tower. We had to build 11 storeys on top of an existing 30 storey tower and create a mixed-use development. All of the projects I've been involved with have been recognised by the clients as being exemplar - which is a huge compliment and makes me immensely proud of the teams that work so hard to deliver them.
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- You get out what you put in. This is an industry of opportunity but the most successful projects are delivered by successful teams. Bringing together the right people and making sure everyone is clear around the critical success factors is the key to a happy client.
- What do you see as the big trend for your specialism in the next five years?
- There's a worrying skills shortage and we need to work really hard to try to encourage more people into construction. It'd be fantastic to encourage more women and have greater diversity. I'd really like to play a greater role in developing our talent to maximise their potential.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- Family, food, flying powered paragliders and travel.
“I enjoy the diversity of what we do, the people we work with and the fantastic projects we deliver.”