Rob completed a 12 month industrial placement with Mace working as a trainee construction manager before the final year of his university degree. His drive to develop a career in construction mixed perfectly with his passion for football as he got to work on the development of a new stadium.
- How did you find your placement?
- My placement was hard work and challenging but not a day went by when it wasn’t exciting and rewarding. I felt incredibly proud to be working on, what was, a dream project. It was an amazing opportunity to be involved and a great way to take what I’d learned at university and put it into practice. It really helped motivate me to do well in my studies.
- What attracted you to Mace?
- The company’s ambition, its values and its ability to take on new challenges in order to better itself, the people and the overall working environment. I attended Undergraduate Insight Week at Mace in my first year at university and it motivated me even more to get a placement at Mace. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to be part of an incredible company that will keep on achieving and working on amazing projects.
- What advice would you give someone at school considering a career in your area of work?
- I would recommend getting any kind of opportunity to experience being on a live construction project. Learning the theory at university is great but understanding the construction environment and getting practical knowledge has proved to be invaluable to me in the short space of time that I worked at Mace. I’d also suggest that it’s good to keep up to date with industry news.
- What would you like to own that you don’t currently possess?
- A Ferrari. Nobody can say I’m not ambitious!
- If your teenage self could see you now, what would he think?
- He’d be proud of where I have got to so far. I’ve had to be disciplined and dedicated to get here and as I’m starting to see the rewards I’m becoming more motivated. I’ve now got a clear ambition to be successful and I know what I have to do to achieve it.
“I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to be part of an incredible company that will keep on achieving and working on amazing projects.”