Senior Project Manager
Pete joined Mace in 2010 following a graduate internship with a national waste management company. His first role at Mace was with Peterborough Council managing the procurement of front line services and new waste infrastructure. Since then he has gone on to develop in-depth experience of utilities projects and is currently working on the Affinity Water AMP6+ Service Provider framework.
- How did you get into what you do?
- After completing a degree in environmental science I got onto a graduate scheme with a national waste-management company. After four years I'd learnt a lot about Public Private Partnership and Private Finance Initiative (PPP/PFI) projects and applied for a role with Mace to project manage similar schemes.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
The constant stream of new and exciting projects and the opportunity to work with prestigious clients across a variety of sectors. Because Mace is such a flexible organisation I have been able to capitalise on my experiences and use my knowledge across a variety of sectors including nuclear, power generation and water.
I also enjoy the social part of working for Mace. The business regularly holds events where there is the opportunity to get to know colleagues outside the working environment - it really helps to build strong teams.
- What has been your proudest achievement at Mace?
Delivering a suite of contract documentation for EDF Energy that was subsequently endorsed by Infrastructure UK. The suite was supported by a range of innovative solutions to ensure that it was used correctly. This included a contract selection tool, bespoke tender compilation processes and a tailored change management procedure. It also provided the client with a more robust governance structure and complete control over their baseline contract documentation for a specific project.
In recognition of this work my team received a Mace Star Award for client focus. The awards are voted for by Mace staff and recognise those who have contributed to the company and upheld its values.
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- For anyone just breaking into the industry, or those progressing their career, appreciate the value of building relationships and learning from colleagues, clients and stakeholders. In roles that require technical understanding it is often far too easy to focus purely on developing technical ability.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- When I’m not at work I enjoy spending time with close friends and family and playing as much sport as my wife will allow!
“I received a Mace Star Award for client focus. The awards are voted for by Mace staff and recognise those who have contributed to the company and upheld its values.”