Senior Project Manager
Fit out, UK
Paul has been a senior project manager with Mace Interiors since 2007, working across a range of sectors, from offices for commercial banks, legal firms and government departments, to retail projects for world–renowned brands. Starting out his career as a site engineer, Paul has been working in the industry for over 35 years.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I was first interested in construction because my grandfather worked in the industry as a site agent. At college I did a sandwich course with a construction company. I really enjoyed the variety of the work and the fact that I had a regular change of scenery. I started my career as a site engineer and then began assisting projects before working my way up to leading them. I made the move from construction into fit out 24 years ago; it was a natural progression.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
The good atmosphere on site with my team, as well as with the client and suppliers. I really enjoyed working on the Mary Rose Museum project because we had a very good team spirit. It wasn't an easy job but the project ran smoothly because everyone was totally committed to working safely and carefully. Everyone really cared and had the same goal.
Since then I've worked on government fit out projects and new distribution centres and, again, its been all about the teams!
- What has been your favourite piece of work at Mace?
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- You've got to have passion and enthusiasm to succeed because in this industry, even when you plan something, unexpected things can come up. You have to be able and willing to adapt what you're doing so you don't miss your deadlines.
- What do you see as the big trend for your specialism in the next five years?
- The main changes that have been trending for the last 15 years have been advances in technology. Projects are being delivered much faster with readily available electronic information. From concept and design to completion, projects probably take half the time they did ten years ago. I'm sure this trend will continue.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- My family, golf, and gardening. And of course I enjoy holidays! My wife and I work hard so we enjoy good holidays, especially skiing trips.
“You've got to have passion and enthusiasm to succeed because in this industry, even when you plan something, unexpected things can come up. ”