European Facilities Manager
Facilities management, UK
Our graduate development programme set Michelle McMahon in good stead for a career in our facilities management division, Macro. The training and support she received has supported Michelle's progression which, in turn, has opened doors for her to work on projects across the world.
- How did your career lead you to Mace?
While I was studying International Business at university, I also worked at a letting agents and large automotive company in catering and reception. These jobs meant I began to gain an insight into property and facilities management (FM), which I really enjoyed. When I joined Mace’s Graduate Development Programme in September 2014, it made perfect sense for me to choose to join Macro.
I chose Mace because of the international opportunities and good training available. The structured two-year programme not only taught me the specifics of FM, but also wider development skills like leadership and presenting. I also got to work with other graduates in disciplines across the whole property lifecycle, not just within one sector.
The Graduate Development Programme also rotates around all business support services: commercial, financial, procurement and business development, so you get to understand how the whole business is managed.
- How has your career progressed since joining Mace?
My first role was on an exciting and ambitious project to consolidate an advertising and marketing company’s various London buildings. This involved transferring 4,000 staff, working in 35 individual agencies across 16 properties into a single location.
I really enjoyed start-ups so I then moved on to the set up of a new contact centre in Milton Keynes, followed by the roll-out of a full FM service for a pharmaceutical company across a number of sites in Europe.
That led me to the States, where I’m currently setting up a new contract win at an energy company’s 74,300 square metre flagship building in Houston, Texas.
- What do you enjoy most about your role?
The people I work with. Everyone is willing to help and advise. The amount of time people have taken out their day to help me has been amazing – I’ve learnt so much.
I also enjoy the range of clients. One day I can be working with a finance company, the next it could be a wacky media company; it’s very diverse.
- What has been your proudest achievement at Mace?
- Setting up the FM provision on a new site for the first time. I’ll never forget the day that 32 advertising agencies walked into their new office. It was a greenfield site, so had no service provision, no existing employees, nothing. Over three months we recruited a full team and procured an entire supply chain. Seeing the agencies excited about their new space made it all worthwhile.
- What do you hope you will be doing in the next 5-10 years?
- In five years I hope to be managing my own portfolio of clients and in ten I’d like to be an operations director working with clients across the world.
“I chose Mace because of the international opportunities and training available.”