Facilities Management, Asia Pacific
Megan Webb has travelled her way around Asia Pacific and since late 2018 has been using her local knowledge and global facilities management experience to grow Mace’s presence and strength in the region.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I entered the FM industry partially by accident when I joined a high-profile project in Sydney as an HR manager. After 12 months in this role, I was offered an account manager position on a global account. It was my first stint in operations and paved the way for my career - I haven’t looked back since. I think once you work in FM, it becomes a part of who you are, I couldn’t imagine doing anything else.
- What has been your experience of working at Mace?
- I joined Mace in 2018 and I have enjoyed the challenge of running the Asia Pacific business. Mace is a great organisation and there are some inspiring success stories of people growing their careers with the company across all disciplines. I am excited to be part of the Mace journey and grow my career along the way.
- What do you enjoy most about your current role at Mace?
- I love being able to work with a diverse group of people, both internally and externally. APAC is a key growth market so the opportunity to build our profile and business in this market is exciting.
- What has been your proudest achievement at Mace?
- Winning our first FM consultancy piece of work in APAC - managing the tender process on behalf of a client to appoint an FM provider on a luxury hospitality project in the Maldives. We hadn’t previously delivered any FM consultancy projects in the region, so it was a great start in building our capability and profile.
- What skills do you need to be good at your job?
- You need to have a commercial mindset to develop and implement a growth strategy, strong communication, influencing, and negotiation skills as you deal with a lot of people every day and need to be able to communicate appropriately to your audience. Resilience, as you can put in a huge amount of work into securing a new contract only to be unsuccessful - sometimes bids can run for 18 months so the personal investment can be high. You need to be able to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and focus on the next project.
- What do you hope you will be doing in the next 5-10 years?
- Hopefully still living in this part of the world and working with Mace! Also, I’d like to be doing some property development as a hobby.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
- Singapore is the third country I have lived in. Prior to relocating, I spent two years living in China. I’m passionate about travel, I have visited more than 30 countries and whenever I get time off I will be off exploring somewhere new. I love experiencing different cultures and immersing myself in them.
“I love being able to work with a diverse group of people, both internally and externally. APAC is a key growth market so the opportunity to build our profile and business in this market is exciting.”