Head of Technical Services Division
Facilities Management, Middle East
Originally from India, Kashif first worked with Macro on one of our sites as a mechanical and electrical contractor in Dubai. He went on to join us as a consultant and now heads our facilities management (FM) Technical Services Division in the Middle East.
- How did your career lead you to Macro?
- I was working as a mechanical contractor on a Macro project at Jumeirah Beach Residence, a hotel resort and residential development in Dubai, when I was given the opportunity to work for Mace as a mechanical engineer on another of its projects in the region. It gave me the chance to work as a consultant and on the project management side of FM.
- What opportunities have you had to progress your career at Macro?
I joined Macro [Mace's FM business] in 2009 as an assistant technical manager and now head our Technical Services Division, working across lots of different sites in the Middle East.
To support my development I’ve completed external courses at the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health, as well as various in house training courses, including management training, safety courses, awareness, quality, enhancing negotiation skills and so on. Overall it’s enhanced my knowledge, so that I can deliver better and safer results on site and in the workplace.
- What do you enjoy most about your current role at Macro?
- I love the feeling of winning new projects. It gives me a real boost and improves morale among the team. When we’re actually working on a project I like the teamwork and the challenges. I get a real sense of achievement in making clients happy by delivering their projects successfully in terms of time, cost and quality.
“I get a real sense of achievement in making clients happy by delivering their projects successfully in terms of time, cost and quality.”
- What is your proudest achievement at Macro?
- Macro was working on a large residential development but the project didn’t have an MEP manager. The client decided we needed one, but by the time I was brought in there were lots of uncertainties around the mechanical and electrical services. Working with partners and the client, I undertook a value engineering exercise on site and ensured that the development had a clear, cost-efficient services solution. The client benefited from lower operational costs, better value and on time deliveries for long lead items, and the project was delivered on time. I feel proud that I achieved this and ensured all parties were satisfied.
- What do you see as the value of facilities management for companies?
- More and more companies will begin to realise that having a good FM company in their portfolio will help them achieve their long-term goals. Overall, good FM reduces the failures and risks to the business, which eventually results in savings. A building’s assets will reach their life expectancy if planned and regular maintenance is carried out throughout the asset’s lifetime.
- What do you hope you will be doing in the next five to ten years?
- Macro's Technical Services Division has lots of potential to help companies who have in house FM, but who need to outsource their technical services. I want to explore that opportunity by engaging with more clients and winning more projects.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
- I’m a very good table tennis player, a good biker and really good with a shotgun - but not at the same time! When I get the chance to go home to Kolkata I go to a shooting club with my friends.