Senior Facilities Manager
Facilities Management, North America
Based in Houston, Texas, Erin McKenzie is a champion of facilities management. With over 17 years’ experience, supporting companies to relocate and expand, Erin is proud of the value that her industry brings to businesses.
- How did your career lead you to Macro?
I’ve been in facilities management (FM) for over 17 years, helping to build operations and expand offices. I began working for a research and consultancy business, supporting them as they grew their operations in the Unites States which eventually expanded to include offices in Rio de Janeiro and Canada. After 12 years I joined a commercial real estate services and investment firm where I was responsible for 800,000 sq ft of commercial office and mixed-use space.
In 2016 I was approached by Macro to take over an account with a leading global resources client. When I joined I was able to bring my experiences from my previous roles with me and immediately offer solutions to the client.
- What is your proudest achievement at Macro?
- When I first joined the contract, the client was in the process of outsourcing their FM team, as well as consolidating the Houston campus from three buildings into one new headquarters building. It was a massive undertaking as the client was keen to make the process as quick and smooth as possible. The Houston operations team moved over 2,200 people, including employees, service contractors and direct contractors in the span of five weeks. It was the most challenging start to a role, but the team in Houston was fantastic and banded together to make sure the transition went seamlessly.
- What value does facilities management give to companies?
FM helps to drive standards and helps to clarify what’s required for a business to be functional and safe. It brings a business together, enabling it to perform effectively and makes people’s jobs easier.
Historically, FM has not been defined as an industry in the US, but it is an industry. It enhances employees’ experiences and completes tasks that are not part of the core business function but are vital to keeping organisations running.
- If you hadn’t got into this line of work what do you think you might be doing?
- Originally I had aspirations to be a road manager for a production company, touring with musical groups. I’m actually a professionally trained sound manager. The dream was to be “a roadie in a rock band” but life interfered and I ended up down a different path.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
- I have a passion for deep sea fishing – I go whenever I have time. I like to fish for snapper, flounder, red fish or Mahi Mahi. I’ll go out to the Gulf of Mexico, Galveston or lately to Costa Rica when I visit friends.
“FM helps to drive standards and helps to clarify what’s required for a business to be functional and safe.”