Associate Director of Operations
Consultancy, Sub-Saharan Africa
Chad joined Mace in 2012 as a senior quantity surveyor and is now responsible for our project management business across Sub-Saharan Africa, as well as being country manager for our work in Kenya.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I have always had a passion for the built environment, after school I went on to study BSc (Hons) Construction Management. On completion of my degree I moved to the UK where I gained a lot of experience within the construction industry. I returned to South Africa at the end of 2012, and joined the Mace Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) team in Johannesburg.
- How do you find the difference between working in SSA and the UK?
- The construction industry in SSA is relatively immature compared to the UK market, particularly in terms of health and safety and quality. It's allowed Mace to focus on these areas and use our international processes and procedures to provide a better service for our clients.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
I’m enjoying the challenge of growing the Mace SSA business. We are challenging the way projects are delivered, which is great to be involved in. We have also got a fantastic team who are great fun to work with. I'm really enjoying helping to mentor and develop our employees.
The industry in South Africa and Africa is vibrant and continually undergoing change, there is a lot of opportunity to work on large projects. Africa is also undergoing a transformation with a lot of money being spent on developing infrastructure and cities, so there is a large spectrum of projects which Mace can get involved in.
“I’m enjoying the challenge of growing the Mace Sub-Saharan Africa business. We are challenging the way projects are delivered, which is great to be involved in.”
- What’s your proudest achievement at Mace?
- My proudest achievement was being part of the team that delivered a significant retail roll out programme that included the upgrade and refresh of over 100 branches across South Africa. Everyone involved gave 100% even though there were significant challenges, ensuring projects were delivered on time and within budget.
- What do you see as the big trend for your work in South Africa right now?
- Following the merger earlier this year between Mace's cost consultancy business in South Africa, and local QS firm MMQS, to form MMQSMace, we're now developing a new design and build offer for the South African market. It means we're using our supply chain and our skills to deliver fit out projects.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- The outdoors is a big part of the way of life in South Africa - from having a BBQ on a Saturday to participating in outdoor events. I also enjoy going on safari as I'm a keen wildlife photographer.