Soft Services Manager
Facilities Management, North America
With 10 years facilities management experience behind her and an expert understanding of the hospitality industry, Angel knows exactly what it takes to oversee workplace experience in her role as soft services manager at Mace.
- How did you get into what you do?
- Like many university students I had no plans or directions for after graduation. Luckily, Disney was recruiting on campus for their internship program. I moved to Florida to work with Mickey and my love for operations and hospitality was born! Shortly after, I joined Morgan’s Hotel Group in their NYC and Miami locations, working in roles that were customer facing. In 2013 I joined a well-known outsourced facilities management provider where I worked with their largest financial client.
- How has your career progressed since joining Mace?
- I joined in July 2019 as a soft services manager looking after the Americas on the Standard Chartered Bank account, and now I’m responsible for overseeing soft service delivery across the Americas, Europe and MENA.
- What skills do you need to be good at your job?
- The foundation to doing my job well is being able to assess people quickly and accurately. Some questions I immediately ask myself are: What drives my customer or their company? What are their pain points? What does the future of their industry look like and where does my customer want to fit in, in that scenario?
- What are the benefits of a good workplace experience?
- Some people spend one third of their life working in an office and a great workplace experience can have a huge impact on the employee’s quality of life. Happy and engaged employees lead to higher collaboration, better company morale, and lower turnover rates. As stewards of workplace experience, we have a large role to play in our customer’s success.
- What do you hope you will be doing in the next 5-10 years?
- I’d still like to be working on the account, but I hope to pick up some data analytics and automation accreditations. I can use this and integrate it into our client’s long term workplace strategy to help them create a more informed strategy for their buildings and continue to improve our service delivery.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- I love working with my hands and getting creative; woodworking, pottery, crafting, or sketching. Ask to see my panda sketchbook submission at the Brooklyn Art Library!
- If you hadn’t got into this line of work what do you think you might be doing?
- In a parallel universe, I would be a horticulturist. Bringing nature to every available square foot in an urban city. Studies have shown nature therapy or ecotherapy benefits not only personal mental wellness, but also has a positive impact on communities, and overall sustainability.
“Happy and engaged employees lead to higher collaboration, better company morale, and lower turnover rates. As stewards of workplace experience, we have a large role to play in our customer’s success.”