Commercial Lead for Sub-Saharan Africa and Country Lead for Nigeria
Consultancy, Sub-Saharan Africa
Alan has been with the business since 2009 and after three years working as a senior quantity surveyor with Mace in the UK, he decided to return to his home in South Africa. He continues to work with a range of global clients, bringing his expertise in quantity surveying to Sub-Saharan Africa. He's also our country manager for Nigeria.
- How did you get into what you do?
- I always wanted to travel after completing my degree in quantity surveying and I got as far as the UK and decided to gain some work experience. I joined Mace in 2009 and after a total of 11 years in the UK it was time to return to South Africa in 2012, where I joined the local Mace Sub-Saharan Africa team.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
- The people I work with, and working on projects across Sub-Saharan Africa allows me to work across multiple sectors, which has its own unique challenges.
- What’s your proudest moment at Mace?
- Definitely when the Microsoft EMEA Team won a Mace Star Award under the Global Excellence category [Mace's internal awards recognising exceptional work across the business]. This was one of the first projects we delivered as quantity surveyors in the local market.
“I believe it’s important as a consultant to show integrity, honesty and modesty and always look for a better way to address a challenge.”
- What advice would you give to someone looking to get into what you do?
- I believe it's important as a consultant to show integrity, honesty and modesty and always look for a better way to address a challenge. Lastly, enjoy what you do each and every day and learn something new.
- What do you see as the big trend for your specialism in the next five years?
- The African market is still developing and is behind Europe in terms of how business is done - the industry is still very confrontational and claims conscious. I believe that there will be a shift towards collaborative working and strategic partnering.
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- I enjoy spending time with my wife and young children and, when possible, we holiday with our family on the coast. When I get the opportunity, I also really enjoy playing golf and hiking.