Jack is putting the building blocks in place for a future in construction by adding to his studies with industry experience. Taking 12 months out from his degree course, Jack is working for Mace as a trainee construction manager, gaining invaluable experience to kick start his career straight after he graduates.
- How are you finding your placement?
- So far it’s been great! I really hoped that I would be given some responsibilities of my own and I haven’t been disappointed. I’m currently working on a refurbishment and redevelopment project on a grade II listed building in London and in the first two weeks I was given my own deadlines to meet. I’m currently responsible for the closing out works and snagging of two apartments which I’ve thoroughly enjoyed. It’s given me the opportunity to interact with a lot of subcontractors and I’ve learnt loads along the way.
- What attracted you to Mace?
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
- What advice would you give someone at school considering a career in your area of work?
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- Cars and motorsport! I own a classic Mini that I restored. It’s my pride and joy and I love spending time working on it in preparation for track days and shows. I am also very keen on Formula 1 which takes up a lot of my time on Sunday afternoons.
- What would you like to own that you don’t currently possess?
- I would love to own a piece of land and build my own house on it one day, then I could build the house exactly the way I picture it.
- If your teenage self could see you now, what would he think?
- I’m sure my teenage self would be pleased to hear that all the hard work that went into those seemingly pointless GCSE’s and A-levels paid off in the end.
“I find it really rewarding to spend time dealing with the issues or problems on site.”