Chandan got his first taste of Mace during a summer placement in 2015 and immediately knew he would apply to return the following year. On his first placement, Chandan got incredible experience on huge regeneration schemes, and this time around is working on schools and academies programmes, helping to create environments for our future leaders to learn and grow.
- What attracted you to Mace?
I researched Mace before my first summer placement and was attracted by the company's ambition to grow, despite already being involved in high profile and interesting projects. I saw it as an opportunity to learn from the best and get to work on some really prestigious projects.
I learnt so much in my first placement that I was keen to return. I've been given a lot of learning and development opportunities and I can’t wait to finish university and come back to Mace as a graduate project manager.
- What do you enjoy most about your role at Mace?
- The diverse range of work. Challenges vary from project to project and no day is ever the same. I'm constantly meeting new people and dealing with clients which is a great way to grow my network and learn new things along the way. I've also been given a lot of independence and responsibility despite my placement being just over two months.
- What advice would you give someone at school considering a career in your area of work?
- Don’t be shy to actively seek out work experience opportunities, even if it's only for a few days! It’s a lot easier than people make out – use your contacts, make contacts or even just ring up a few companies and try your luck. Work experience is invaluable and don’t give up if you get a few knockbacks first – just keep trying!
- What are you passionate about outside of work?
- I’m a bit of an adrenaline junkie and love giving new things a go. Recently my adventures have included cliff jumping, paragliding and mountain hiking to name a few!
- What drives you on?
Failure – whenever I make a mistake I do my best to learn from it and make sure it doesn’t happen again.
Also the desire to learn – I always enjoy learning something new, so I put maximum effort into understanding everything I do.
“Don’t be shy to actively seek out work experience opportunities, even if it’s only for a few days!”