Project Manager – Nuclear Energy Sector
Location: Somerset, UK
Reference: SM 17802
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 5,000 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East North Africa & India, North America, Asia Pacific and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety First, Client Focus, Create Opportunity, Integrity. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most challenging and inspiring projects around the world.
We support our people who are aiming to achieve an academic or professional qualification that will help them develop personally and deliver to the highest standard for our clients. At Mace you can deepen your knowledge, expand your skills and define your own path.
Be a part of our Programme Management Consultancy business that spans our five global hubs, where we oversee major events & infrastructure programmes of work for world leading organisations across the public and private sectors.
Project Manager – Nuclear Energy Sector
The nature of the role is to provide leadership to ensure the effective delivery of activities in the programme, while recognising and managing the impacts of the programme on the wider Project. Establish and lead diverse project team members to deliver activities within their programme on this Nuclear Energy scheme.
- Reports directly to either a Programme Manager or Senior Project Manager.
- Responsible for the delivery of a specific set of activities to time, cost, safety and quality including the day to day management of specific contracts and the L3, L4 schedule (Detailed Control Schedules) which provide detailed weekly and monthly work execution sequences.
- Responsible for the direction and leadership of all activities associated with the full life cycle delivery of a contract or work package assigned to them.
- Ensure delivery of all (or part of) the engineering, procurement, manufacturing, construction and commissioning activities for the life cycle of the contract or work package in accordance with the overall project schedule.
- Ensure planning and delivery is in accordance with all safety, quality, time and cost parameters to meet the needs of the Project.
- Interaction with client in France and/or with HPC Site Construction Team although will still operate in a matrix management structure.
- Management of design (in France or UK), procurement; commercial and construction resources of staff.
- Direct accountability for contract management with values in the region.
- Define the work scope to be delivered within the contract or package of work and the interfaces to the other elements of the programme.
- Securing the required resources to meet their project requirements, ensuring the maintenance of SQEP for any assigned resource and promptly identifying any personnel shortfalls or issues within their project team.
- Developing and executing effective execution strategies and plans in line with the overall programme execution plan (PEP), setting out how the programme of work will be managed, organised and executed.
- Maintaining effective communications with all stakeholders and executing the project or PEP strategies within their contract or package of work.
- Drive the delivery of the contract or package activities to ensure they are delivered safely, on time, to budget, meeting business & technical requirements. Monitor and manage the progress of the programme - track progress against milestones, deadlines, budget and provide key stakeholders with reports on these matters.
- Anticipate, manage and resolve issues within the contact or package. Identify risks and facilitate the resolution of all issues raised, develop and update the programme budget, and escalate any issues to the Delivery Manager (Programme Manager or Director).
- Ensure level 3 schedules are developed and maintained for the contract or package of work. Ensure such schedules are consistent with overall Project schedules (levels 1 and level 2). Escalate any discrepancies to the Project Controls Director.
- Interface with other programmes to ensure a high-level view of how the total project is progressing and to identify and adopt the use of best practice.
- Ensure that contract or package contractual requirements are fulfilled.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all project team members.
- Nuclear safety responsibilities, which could have a significant impact on nuclear safety through the activities that they perform. These are detailed in the Nuclear Baseline.
- Briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Experience, Knowledge & Skills
- Track record of delivering projects within a technically complex and dynamic environment whilst ensuring high levels of safety, security and environmental responsibility, ideally within the Nuclear Energy sector or similar regulated environment.
- Engineering design, contract and field execution strategies for Multi-discipline EPCM project delivery.
- Procurement and management of complex contracts.
- Control of costs; risk; schedule and change and proficient in the use of Earned Value tools.
- Close out of commercial claims and the associated negotiations.
- Experience of successfully engaging groups of stakeholders.
- Able to demonstrate strong management skills including project management, financial management, change management and facilitation.
- Proficient in the use of estimating scheduling, programming and risk tools.
- Experience of managing contractors, consultants and other advisors throughout large and complex construction projects, in a regulated environment. Including NEC or FIDIC contracts.
- Good presentation, influencing and facilitation skills. Excellent communication and organisational skills, able to develop relationships and maintain effective networks.
- Detailed understanding of PWR design and experience in PWR operations.
- Working knowledge of French language an advantage.
- Knowledge and / or practitioner of Project Management with experience of applying either; APM body of knowledge and OGC's Prince 2.
- Understanding the needs of quality and how quality is assured and controlled.
- Ability to balance conflicting and changing demands through prioritisation and a pragmatic approach
- Integrity, Enthusiasm, energy, passion and conviction
- Ability to cope in a technically complex and fast-changing environment, and to respond calmly and rationally to changing aspirations in a deadline-driven situation.
- Strong planning and organising skills including the ability to manage several work streams simultaneously.
- Good influencing and persuasion skills with the ability to enthuse and inspire multidisciplinary teams and build successful relationships at all levels.
- Good team player, self-motivated and able to work on own initiative
- Degree Qualification in an Engineering, Construction, Physics or other related field.
- Professional Memberships or chartered status are an advantage but not essential.
Mace is an Equal Opportunity Employer.