HVAC Technical Lead
Bristol, United Kingdom
Project: Building two new nuclear reactors, the first in a new generation of nuclear power stations in the UK providing low-carbon electricity for around six million homes. The £19bn project is due to start generating electricity in 2026 and is currently the largest construction project in Europe.
The mechanical, electrical and HVAC (MEH) design management team (DMT) is an engineering directorate function embedded within the MEH Programme, whose main responsibility is to deliver on-time a safe, constructible and commissionable design to support the MEH erection activities.
MEH DMT scope covers the detailed and execution design of 3 disciplines:
- Piping, which is split in 3 contracts (BNI, BOP, NSSS-Auxiliary); HVAC, which consists of 1 contract.
- Electrical, which consists of IEG and IED activities, as well as IT/Com and - ire/ Hydrogen detection.
- Technical Support Team (part of the MEH DMT) is responsible for dealing with all critical issues and hot spots regarding MEH design activities, to anticipate potential issues before they impact down-stream activities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Identifying and responding to all (discipline and building specific) critical issues, hot spots and tasks that impact the MEH programme design delivery.
- Proposing and managing action plans, in line with objectives given by the DMT senior leadership team (SLT), and with alignment of the BDDMs.
- Assessing and coordinating the implementation of design change proposals (‘RC-2’ and ‘post-freeze RC-2’) from within HPC and other entities that impact the MEH programme.
- Interfacing with all RD and HPC (PI) contract engineering leads (CEL) and execution designers associated with the MEH programme contracts, to cope with transverse topics in a discipline perspective. In doing so, gain common alignment with respect to the closure of tasks and hot spots and etc.
- Providing contract technical support to the project manager on the RD contracts and drive the resolution of such EWNs, TQs and CEs.
- Carrying out associated ROTC activities (development of trend and change papers) applicable to critical issues, hot spots, EWNs and CEs.
- Providing contract technical support, when requested, to the RD CEL for execution designer contracts.
- Identifying engineering risks associated with critical issues, hot spots and early warning notices and supports the BDDM and project manager in the mitigation of such risks.
- Leveraging on Taïshan (TSN) and Flamanville (FL3) project experience to accelerate and optimise decision-making.
You have a degree or equivalent in a relevant engineering discipline. You experience from working in an equivalent/related role. You are meticulous and rigorous approach to engineering to achieve high professional standards. You are proven ability to successfully deliver engineering safely to the correct quality, time and cost in a fast paced, schedule driven environment. You have the ability to influence a diverse range of stakeholders. You have the ability to work autonomously but with awareness of own limitations. You have awareness of contractual and commercial mechanisms.
You are digitally savvy and proficient in the use of estimating scheduling, programming and risk tools. You can build lasting client relationships and provide support to strong, motivated teams. You have experience delivering large and complex construction projects, in a regulated environment within the nuclear energy sector in a construction or consultancy background and be hungry to grow your career and enjoy the opportunities Mace has to offer.
Rewards and recognition
With Mace, you will deepen your knowledge and skills, work with inspiring colleagues, influential clients and get to see the world.
We invest in our people and provide a strong benefits package including private medical insurance allowance and health and wellbeing commitment that includes 2 volunteer days a year.
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company that has delivered world class projects since 1990. Today we employ over 6,000 people across North America, Europe, Middle East, North Africa, Sub-Saharan Africa, India and Asia Pacific.
Four simple values guide our behaviour in our pursuit of a better way; Safety first - going home safe and well, Client focus - deliver on our promise, Create opportunity - for our people to excel, Integrity - always doing the right thing. We aim to attract the best and brightest people, whatever their background, to bring new perspectives to some of the most challenging and inspiring projects around the world.
“Mace is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our people to excel.”
- Job number: 09424
- Job field: Engineering
- Job posted: 10/12/20
- Job close date: 17/12/20
- Job schedule: Full-time
Mace is an international consultancy and construction company, founded and built on exceptional people, a commitment to service excellence and an entrepreneurial spirit.
We develop, consult, construct and operate some of the world’s most inspiring buildings and infrastructure programmes, and our people have built a reputation for delivering projects that seem impossible – challenging convention, innovating, and proudly moving our industry forward.
Today, we remain a privately owned business that has grown organically. We now employ over 6,300 people across five global hubs in Europe, Middle East, Africa, the Americas and Asia Pacific.
With an incredible breadth of opportunity across our global business, we attract the very best and support everyone to unleash their potential.
Our people are what makes Mace the business it is today – they are our strength. We actively encourage equality, diversity and inclusion in every market, sector and geography we work in - fully appreciating the benefits of a culture that embraces new ideas, encourages everyone to have a voice and celebrates differing beliefs and views. People at Mace are appreciated for their individualities and are encouraged to be themselves, every day and with everyone they work with.
Wherever you are on your career journey, Mace is the place to bring ambitions alive.
We will welcome your application irrespective of background, culture and disability. Should you need to discuss any reasonable adjustments or require guidance about our recruitment process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to speak to a member of our team.
OUR COMMITMENTSWe are committed to health and safety, innovation and service excellence, being a responsible business and supporting the communities in which we work. Find out more.
If you have a question about working at Mace or would like to give any feedback on the recruitment process, you can contact our careers team. Get in touch.