Senior Project Manager - Nuclear
Taunton, United Kingdom
Be a part of our project management consultancy business that spans our five global hubs, where you can oversee work for world leading organisations across the public and private sectors.
This post has the responsibility to ensure delivery or part-delivery of the engineering, procurement, manufacturing, construction and commissioning activities for the life cycle of the contract or work package in accordance with the overall project schedule. This post will ensure planning and delivery is in accordance with all safety, quality, time and cost parameters to meet the needs of the project. The senior project manager reports directly to a delivery manager (programme manager or programme director) and is responsible for the direction and leadership of all activities associated with the full life cycle delivery of a major contract or contracts assigned to them.
This post will manage a major contract or contracts would manage a large, complex contract - typically over £100m in capital value, have in the region of 3 to 5 direct reports - plus a matrix team of other disciplines forming the project delivery team include interaction with client in France and/or with the site construction team although will still operate in a matrix management structure. This may involve the management of design (in France and UK), procurement, commercial and construction resources of between 20 and 50 staff, the contract managed by the senior project manager may involve between 200-1000 contractor staff and numerous external stakeholders.
This role holds key nuclear safety responsibilities. These are detailed in the nuclear baseline.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Defining the work scope to be delivered within the contract or package of work and the interfaces to the other elements of the programme.
- Securing the required resources to meet their project requirements, ensuring the maintenance of SQEP for any assigned resource and promptly identifying any personnel shortfalls or issues within their project team.
- Developing and implementing strategies and plans in line with the overall programme execution plan (PEP), setting out how the programme of work will be managed, organised and executed. The PEP sets out the “why”, “what”, “how”, “when” and “who” for the delivery of the programme.
- Maintaining effective communications with all stakeholders and executing the project or PEP strategies within their contract or package of work.
- Driving the delivery of the contract or package activities to ensure they are delivered safely, on time, to budget, meeting business and technical requirements.
- Monitoring and managing the progress of the programme - track progress against milestones, deadlines, budget and provide key stakeholders with reports on these matters.
- Anticipating, manage and resolve issues within the contact or package. Identifying risks and facilitating the resolution of all issues raised, develop and update the programme budget, and escalate any issues to the delivery manager (programme manager or director).
- Ensuring level 3 schedules are developed and maintained for the contract or package of work.
- Ensuring such schedules are consistent with overall project schedules (levels 1 and level 2).
- Escalating any discrepancies to the project controls director.
- Reviewing the contractor supplied level 3 and 16 week rolling schedules.
- Ensuring the list of deliverables (LOD) relating to the scope of work is delivered.
- Applying the principles of earned value management (EVM).
- Reporting the EV progress to senior management on a monthly basis.
- Reviewing contractor’s applications for payment.
- Applying the principles of continuous improvement.
- Ensuring that lessons-learnt and knowledge-capture are practiced as business as usual.
- Interfacing with other programmes to ensure a high-level view of how the total project is progressing and to identify and adopt the use of best practice.
- Ensuring that contract or package contractual requirements are fulfilled.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with all project team members.
- A degree and chartered status in an engineering, construction, physics or other related field.
- Knowledge and/or practitioner of project management with experience of applying either APM body of knowledge and OGC's Prince 2.
- Track record of delivering projects within a technically complex and dynamic environment whilst ensuring high levels of safety, security and environmental responsibility, ideally within the nuclear energy sector or similar regulated environment.
- Proven success in managing/developing engineering design, contract and field execution strategies for project delivery, multi-discipline EPCM projects, procurement and management of complex contracts, control of costs, risk, schedule and change and proficient in the use of earned value tools, close out of commercial claims and the associated negotiations.
- Proven experience of successfully engaging groups of stakeholders.
- Involvement in managing contractors, consultants and other advisors throughout large and complex construction projects, in a regulated environment including NEC and FIDIC contracts.
- Ability to demonstrate strong management skills including project management, financial management, change management and facilitation.
- Proficiency in use of estimating scheduling, programming and risk tools.
- Good presentation, influencing and facilitation skills.
- Excellent communication and organisational skills, able to develop relationships and maintain effective networks.
- Strong numerical and analytical skills.
- Detailed understanding of EPR design and experience.
- Working knowledge of French language is beneficial.
- Good team player, self-motivated and able to work on own initiative.
Rewards and recognition
With Mace, you will deepen your knowledge and skills, work with inspiring colleagues, influential clients and get to see the world.
We invest in our people and provide a strong benefits package including private medical insurance allowance and health and wellbeing commitment that includes 2 volunteer days a year.
“Mace is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for our people to excel.”
- Job number: 05876
- Job field: Consultancy Project Management
- Job posted: 06/03/20
- Job status: 15/05/20
- Job schedule: Full-time